MY BRIEF ENGLISH TIPS- Little, Some, A lot, much, A few, A lot of, Many, Very, and Any



Confusing words, aren't they? I confess these words are confusing to me, but I am making peace with them. I will show you my trick. I would like to thank my American partner and friend, Jason, very much for helping me understand this.

Let's learn!




Non-count noun:


Little 


"There is little sugar left in the jar." (means there isn't much sugar remaining)


Some (algum, alguma (Brazilian Portuguese )) - singular


"Can I have some water, please?" (Requesting a moderate amount of water)


Much (muito, muita (Brazilian Portuguese)) - singular


"The recipe calls for much sugar." (Referring to a significant quantity of sugar)


______________________________________

count noun:


A few (two or three, feeling of little quantity). 


"I have a few apples in the basket." (Indicating a small number of apples.)


Some (more than 3, sufficient quantity) - plural.


"Let's buy some flowers for the party." (Suggesting the purchase of

 a moderate quantity of flowers)


Many (muitos (Brazilian Portuguese)) - plural.


"There are many people at the event." (Indicating a large number of people)


________________________________________

A lot of 


Can be used with both count and non-count nouns,

 emphasizing a significant quantity or degree. 


Count noun:


"I have a lot of friends." (Emphasizing a significant number of friends)


Non-count noun:


"I've drunk a lot of water today." (Emphasizing a significant quantity of water)


_________________________________________

Very


Before adjective.


"She is very kind." (The adverb "very" intensifies 

the adjective "kind," emphasizing the degree of kindness.)


_________________________________________

Any


Nenhum/ nenhuma (afirmação). (Brazilian Portuguese)


 "I don't have any question."


Algum/ alguma (interrogativa). (Brazilian Portuguese)


 "Do you have any questions?"


_________________________________________

A lot


It is an adverbial expression that modifies a verb.


"She talks a lot during meetings." (Modifying the verb "talks")




Do not let yourself be confused,

Stay strong! Until Next! bye bye.👋💋

Comments

Popular Posts