International PhD Interviews: My Personal Experiences



Hello everyone!

Easter is approaching, and I want to share with you my experiences in international interviews in February and March.

Let's...


It all started last year, when I decided to try to realize my dream do a Ph.D. abroad. As you know my first step was to learn English alone, after a few months (10 months) immersed totally in English and knowing universities, and understanding all application processes. Hence, after 10 months I started the second step to do applications, I have not done a lot of applications. Imade applications to universities such as Leceiste, Warwick, Liverpool, Edinburgh, Utrecht, and Aberdeen. You due think 'not so much', however, it was hard work.


In January, I received my first answer, from the University of Edinburgh, I said: I can't believe it! If you want to know about this emotional moment: https://samarascientist.blogspot.com/2024/01/my-first-international-interview.html


After a few days of my first conversation with the supervisor of Edinburgh, the supervisor chose me for the project. At that moment, I dove into the project and exchanged emails with the supervisors. She was always friendly and kind, and she helped a lot with tips for interviewing with the committee and talking about the city.


February was a difficult month, I lost a great friend. Despite this, I remained strong, focusing on learning English and preparing for the interview. I had a second meeting with the supervisors of Edinburgh, this time to practice for the interview. Unfortunately, I wasn't feeling well. I was sick, and some questions were difficult to answer. Nevertheless, after the meeting, I improved and followed the tips of my supervisors while continuing to study.


Amidst this madness, I received news about the Marie Curie (Spain) scholarship and Liverpool University, I was selected! I was thrilled because it meant more opportunities were opening up for me.


INTERVIEWS:


Interview Marie Curie (Madri, Spain): 

Project: Immunological characterization of the glycoconjugate vaccines


My first official interview was with Marie Curie scholarship, it was a nice experience. I knew the supervisor, very kind too. I presented for 10 minutes with slides about my master's thesis project and talked about my soft skills and abilities. In my view, was a good interview, and I received compliments, I asked questions about the program and project. The interview was around 30 minutes. 


Outcome: Out of the 10 projects offered, 18 candidates were selected for interviews. The project I chose faced competition from two other candidates. To secure approval, a score equal to or greater than 70 was necessary. In the end, only 4 individuals were awarded the scholarship. Unfortunately, some candidates from other projects did not meet the required score, and another 5 were approved but placed on the reserve list (as they belonged to the same project as the 4 who achieved the highest grades). Despite being approved, a candidate who competed with me performed better, placing me on the reserve list. If that person gives up, I will be the next one called.


Interview Edinburgh: 

project: Mechanism of Action for Immune Response Induction Using Solid Dose Vaccines


My second official interview! Uaaaw I thought this interview was the best! I answered all the questions ( the supervisor helped me a lot with the questions that could be in the interview). I was very confident, but unfortunately, I wasn't approved. 


Outcome: my world crumbled when I saw the result. Yeah, I didn't understand. There are 4 scholarships for international students, and I was disputing the vacancy with 9 candidates. Well, there are candidates better. They said the problem was my English, they said: "The quality of applicants as a whole was very impressive and you interviewed well. We could tell that you were very enthusiastic about science in general, and the project that you were interviewed for. However, we found it difficult to understand your spoken English at certain points of the interview." I was discouraged to continue with my studies, I felt that I was not strong enough to continue to try. However, the supervisor said my English is perfectly fine and would only improve with time in an English-speaking laboratory.We will continue to keep in touch.


Interview Liverpool: 

Project: Evaluating the impact of commingling on the immune response of calves to intranasal vaccination against bovine respiratory disease


In the third interview, if did am I more confident? no, I'm not!!! hahaha because you never know what can happen! Although I was more relaxed, I think.


Before the interview, I knew the supervisor. He is very friendly and looks like be a good supervisor. I liked him. It was a nice conversation. He talked about the project and asked me about my motivation for the project. The project is very cool, I will work beyond Liverpool I will to the Netherlands to work in Merck (a pharmaceutical company).


The official interview was good. I liked the panel, all they were very cordial. It was around 40 min. I presented my master's project (it was recorded). After they asked questions about my master's project, the project for which I was applying, and my professional life.


Outcome:  

Another negative email, I was not selected, unfortunately. It was an incredible project! I will continue to keep in touch with the supervisor, he was very kind and friendly. I am expecting the feedback on my interview.


So guys, three interviews, three targets, and I failed. It's really difficult, mainly because the vacancy for international students is very limited. I perceive I need to improve my techniques and try again!  I am doing more applications. 


Thus, my journey to a Ph.D. abroad showcases the need for resilience in the face of adversity, underscored by unwavering determination and the relentless pursuit of dreams despite life's inevitable challenges.


These were top-notch interviews conducted at prestigious universities.

I promise I will create a post with questions that are more commonly asked in interviews.


Bye bye,happy Easter! 🐇🍫




In memory of my friend Carlos Franciney Moreira Vasconcelos, biologist who passionately loved science and made dreams come true, overcoming barriers and completing his doctorate and post-doctorate abroad.


Forever in the hearts of those who knew him. ❤


His publications can all be found here: Carlos Franciney Moreira Vasconcelos


Thank u <3




Comments

Popular Posts