My Brief English Tips: Many Ways to Express 'Conseguir' in English (for Brazilians)


This post is specifically for Brazilians. When I began conversing with native speakers, I encountered challenges in using the Portuguese verb 'conseguir' in English. Consequently, I decided to study and practice the various ways this verb is expressed in English.  So, I've decided to share what I've learned with you.

Let's learn!

This is the vocabulary used in English when you want to use the word 'conseguir' :

Get|Got

Able to

Can|Could

Make|Made

Do|Did

Manage|Managed

Achieve|Achieved


1- Get|Got

In the sense of getting something.


Ex: Did you get it?

(Voce conseguiu?)


Ex: Did you get the job? 

(Você conseguiu o emprego?)


Ex: I got a good job.

(Eu consegui um bom emprego.)


Ex: She got good grades. 

(Ela conseguiu boas notas.)


2- Able to

It is commonly used to express someone's capability or capacity to do something.


past: was+ Able to+verb


Ex: I wasn't able to talk to her.

(eu não consegui falar com ela.)


Ex: I wasn't able to find my keys.

( Eu não consegui encontrar minhas chaves)


Ex: I was able to understand almost everything.

(Eu consegui entender quase tudo)


Future: Be able to+verb


Ex: I'm going to be able to learn English.

(Eu vou conseguir aprender ingles)


Ex: I will be able to learn English.

(Eu vou conseguir aprender ingles)


3- Can|Could

It usually talks about an ability or ability to accomplish something.


Present: can +verb


Ex: Can you hear me?

(Você consegue me ouvir?)


Ex: I can't find my keys

(Eu não consigo encontrar minhas chaves.)


Ex: I can't read when I'm tired.

( Eu não consigo ler quando eu estou cansado.)


Ex: Can you speak English?

(Você consegue falar ingles?)


Ex: She can work all day long.

( Ela consegue trabalhar o dia todo.)


Ex: I can understand almost everything about the TV series.

(Eu consigo entender quase tudo da serie.)


Remember that "able to" is often interchangeable with "can" in many contexts, but there are subtle differences. "Able to" is sometimes considered more formal or is used when expressing a specific capability or achievement. 

For example:

Using "Can": She can swim.

This is a general statement indicating her ability to swim.

Using "Able To": She is able to swim across the lake.

This emphasizes her specific capability to swim across a lake, highlighting a particular skill or achievement.


Past: Could + verb


Ex: I couldn't speak English.

(Eu não consegui falar ingles)


Ex: Rachel Could't speak Spanish.

(Rachel não conseguiu falar espanhol.)


Ex: I could understand.

(Eu consegui entender)


Special example: When you can't do contact by telephone.


Ex: I couldn't reach him.

(Eu não consegui falar com ele.)


4- Make|Made

usually talking about the creation, realization, or production of something.


Ex: I'm glad you guys made it.

(Que bom que vocês consegiram vir.)


Ex: I can make a cake.

(Eu consigo fazer um bolo.)


Ex: I don't know if I can make it.

( Eu não sei se eu consigo.)


Ex: She made it!

(Ela conseguiu!)

Ex: Did she made it?

(Ela conseguiu?)


5- Do|Did

 Generally used to express the performance of actions.


Present/ Future:


Ex: I can do that.

( Eu consigo fazer isso.)


What can you do?

(Você consegue fazer isso?)


Past: 


Ex: You did it!

(Você conseguiu!)

Ex: She did it!

(Ela conseguiu!)


6- Manage/ Managed:

Achieve something difficult with effort.


Past: Managed to+verb


Ex: We managed to learn English.

(Nos conseguimos aprender ingles.)


Ex: Finally, I managed To learn English.

(Finalmente, Eu consegui aprender ingles.)


Ex: I managed to find my son.

(Eu consegui encontrar meu filho.)


Ex: He managed to fix his car by himself.

(Ele conseguiu consertar seu carro)


Present: 


Ex: Are you sure can you manage this?

(Voce tem certeza que consegue isto?)


Futuro: Manage to+verb


Ex: I will manage to convince the policeman.

(Eu conseguirei convencer o policial.)


7- Achieve/ Achieved 

To be able to do something with effort and time.


Ex: Every student can achieve their full potential with effort and dedication.

(Cada estudante pode conseguir/ alcançar seu potencial máximo com esforço e dedicação.)


Ex: I achieved my goals. 

(Eu consegui/ alcancei minhas metas.)


Ex: She achieved many things in her life.

(Ela conseguiu/alcançou muitas coisas em sua vida.)




Videos help you with explanations: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvhHR2EQJ70

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHkhmms8CsE










Comments

Popular Posts