Improve your reading

 


Hello everyone! How is your English? Today, as promised, I'm here to discuss reading.

I engage in the practice of reading and translating (writing) simultaneously in my native language, Portuguese. You might wonder why I do this. Allow me to explain.

The purpose behind this practice is to enhance my reading skills. By engaging in translation exercises, I can identify both my mistakes and successes. It allows me to assess whether my words convey the intended meaning accurately while also aiding in the expansion of my vocabulary. Typically, I choose a text consisting of 500 or 700 words and attempt to translate it within a specific timeframe.


Step by step:

Choosing the Text: Choose a text and copy it words for Microsoft Word . The text I choose is usually around 500 or 700 words.


Translating: Grab a pen and paper and start translating the text into your native language. Remember to set a timer. For example, in the case of a 500-word text, I allocate 30 minutes for translation. You can choose your own time, but try to finish as quickly as possible while maintaining accuracy.


Correcting Your Text: After finishing the translation, review and correct your text. You can use Google Translate to assist you, but be cautious as it may not always provide accurate translations. For the words you were unable to translate, consult a dictionary and write them down in your notebook to help you remember them.


Gradual Progress: Starting with three translations per day is a reasonable goal to begin with. As you become more comfortable with the process and your skills improve, you can increase the number of translations or aim to complete them in shorter time intervals.


Remember, practice is key to improving your reading skills.

Good luck with your English learning journey!

Comments

Popular Posts