An Interview with Dr. Ana Paula Sato: A Scientist Studying Abroad

 


Hello everyone,

In this post I come with news. I have wanted to do this for a long time, which is to share personal experiences of students who have studied or are studying abroad. I think that is very important and encouraging seeing stories that spire us to follow our dreams and show that our efforts are worth it.

Today I bring the experience of Dr. Ana Paula Sato. I met Ana when I was applying to the University of Liverpool, and the supervisor told me about a Brazilian postdoctoral student on the team, and I decided to talk to her so she could tell me about the program and what it’s like to live and study in Liverpool. Ana was very polite, sympathy, friendly and she was willing to help me with my questions. Unfortunately, I was not accepted to study at the university, but Ana and I follow each other on Instagram, and we exchange likes and comments, hehe. A few months later, I had an idea to invite her to an interview about her experience doing a postdoc at the renowned university of Liverpool, She kindly accepted the invitation.

 I am so happy and excited to share with you the first interview here on the blog! Dr. Ana Paula Sato holds a PhD and a master's degree in veterinary sciences and shares the same for research and the academic world as I do. She also has a strong aspiration to build a career in infectious diseases in animals.

So, let’s read this wonderful interview with Dr. Ana. I am sure this reading will encourage and motivate you to keep studying English and persevering in your dream of studying abroad. 


Introduction and Background

Could you tell us a little about your academic background and what motivated you to pursue a career in veterinary medicine? Curiosity and the investigative spirit have always inspired me. My enthusiasm for the veterinary profession has been fostered since my childhood by a deep fascination with animals and their health and by the desire to investigate what went wrong and discover ways in which the problem could be solved. My interest in science-based subjects, especially those relating to biology also developed from a young age and Biology has always been a passion for me. I was astounded by how our cells work and what goes wrong in the event of disease. I think these were the reasons that motivated me to become a veterinarian and pursue the academic field. During my veterinary studies, and subsequent experiences, I have focused my research on the study of Apicomplexa protozoa infection in domestic and wild animals. I completed my PhD at the Federal University of Parana – Brazil in 2022, with a thesis on the serological, histopathological and molecular diagnosis of Toxoplasma gondii, Neospora caninum and Sarcocystis spp. in wild birds. My work in academia taught me how to think critically, write scientific articles, teach and mentor students, collaborate positively with team members, and interact with national and international researchers. I also developed hands-on skills on various laboratory techniques, such as tissue culture, veterinary hematology, immunofluorescence assays, DNA and RNA extraction, Polymerase Chain Reaction and bioinformatics for sequence analysis and phylogeny. During my PhD, I was awarded a scholarship to spend six months as a visiting student in the Protozoology Research Group at the Moredun Research Institute in Scotland, under the supervision of Dr Frank Katzer. This experience equipped me with an increased knowledge to my personal growth and improved my research skills.

Can you briefly describe your current research at the University of Liverpool and its significance? What led you to do a postdoc on this topic?  I work on the project ‘Integrating clinical, data-driven and in-vitro approaches to the study of host-pathogen interactions in bovine digital dermatitis.  Digital dermatitis (DD) is a bacterial disease that primarily affects the skin on the heels of cattle. Infection causes inflammation and skin damage, leading to pain and discomfort and it is a major cause of lameness in dairy cows causing reduced animal welfare and economic loss. Bacteria of the genus Treponema are considered the main pathogen associated with DD; however, we still don't fully understand how the disease develops and what the role of the animal's genetics in this is. My research involves in-vitro assays, genomic breeding values and DD phenotypes. I isolate keratinocytes and fibroblasts from cattle foot skin from three phenotypes (genetically resistant/healthy, genetically susceptible/ recovered and susceptible/chronic). As keratinocytes and fibroblasts interact in wound healing, I will compare whether cellular responses to Treponemes differ between cattle with those different genetics for DD resistance. I have a keen passion for infectious diseases of domestic and wild animals, I think this is what made me do a postdoc on this topic.

Why did you decide to do your postdoc outside of your home country? I like doing research and I knew that I wanted to continue in academia. After my doctorate I saw the need to pursue a postdoctoral position. However, I also realized that in order to achieve my goals and further develop my academic career, I needed to look beyond the borders of my home country. Postdocs or Researcher Associate are members of staff here. It’s a job, different from Brazil. Postdoctoral researchers in Brazil often receive grants or scholarships rather than formal employment contracts. Living and working in a new country challenges you to adapt to different cultures, languages, and environments, fostering personal growth and resilience and also doing a postdoc abroad allows you to build an international network of collaborators and mentors. These connections can open doors for future research opportunities.

Choosing the University

What were your biggest challenges when choosing the university and the theme of your research? One of the biggest challenges was identifying a university that had a strong research focus in my specific area of interest. I have a keen passion for infectious diseases of domestic and wild animals.

What were the biggest challenges you faced studying and working outside of Brazil, and how did you overcome them? I had to adapt to the country's culture. I had to read a lot about the project topic. And the “saudades” from home hits hard sometimes but we get over it.

Language Challenges

How was the adaptation to the English language? What were the biggest difficulties you faced? I still have difficulty speaking and expressing myself, but it gets better every day.

What strategies did you use to improve your English while studying and working abroad? I try to read out loud every day for 30 minutes. I write down new vocabulary and try to use it on a daily basis.

Did you have to take an English proficiency test to be accepted at the University of Liverpool? How was that experience? Yes, to obtain a skilled work visa, you must take the IELTS UKVI (UK Visas and Immigration) proficiency test.

How did you handle situations where you didn’t understand something immediately due to the language? Do you have any funny or challenging stories to share? I think push and pull always accompanies you haha. You live here for 1 year and whenever you see a push door you try to pull it instead of pushing it. Another difficulty is with numbers in general, especially when talking about the number of cells to say 1x106 cell per ml. One times ten to the power of 6.

What advice would you give to other students who are afraid of studying abroad because of the language barrier? Don't be limited by language. Take steps to learn the basics of the language to make daily life easier and don't be ashamed to speak.

Are there any resources or learning methods for English that you would recommend to other students? I like listening to podcasts.

Cultural Adaptation

How was the cultural and social adaptation in the UK compared to Brazil? Additionally, how did the exposure to a new culture and work/study environment enrich your experience? You get to know the culture for example communication style, British communication tends to be more indirect and polite, often relying on subtle cues or understatement, whereas Brazilians are generally more direct and expressive we have to adapt little by little and respect.  Our research group here is international. There are researcher from Greece, Poland, China and Brazil. One thing that I admire in the UK is this cultural diversity.

What advice would you give to other Brazilian students who are thinking of studying abroad? Just go 😊, but before choosing a country or university, take the time to research academic programs, living conditions, and cultural differences. Look into the cost of living, visa requirements, healthcare systems, and how welcoming the destination is to international students. Websites, alumni networks, and student forums can be valuable resources.

Academic Environment

How would you describe the academic environment at the University of Liverpool? And what are the main differences you noticed between the academic environment at the University of Liverpool and the Brazilian universities where you studied? Moreover, how is the interaction with professors and colleagues at the University of Liverpool? The academic culture abroad may be different from what we are used to in Brazil. Here students are expected to be more independent in their studies, with less direct guidance from professors. Make sure you understand the grading system, teaching methods, and the research or project expectations in your chosen program. Universities abroad often have resources to assist international students with academic adaptation, such as workshops or writing centers.

Infrastructure and Resources

Does the university offer support for international students? If so, how was your experience with that support? Universities abroad often have resources to assist international students with academic adaptation, such as workshops or writing centers. 

What services and resources at the University of Liverpool did you find most helpful during your adaptation? Workshops and Postdocs Core Team.

Is there a specific resource that you think was essential to your well-being and academic success? Be part of the postdocs Team.

Campus Life

What is life like on the University of Liverpool campus? Are there many extracurricular activities and social events for students? Furthermore, did you find a community of Brazilian students or other international students with whom you could connect? There aren't many extracurricular activities or social events. I am part of the postdocs group at the university and I represent my department. We hold meetings once a month.

Professional Development

How has your experience at the University of Liverpool contributed to your professional and personal growth? What skills and knowledge have you gained that you consider most important for your career? I have gained significant experience in microbiology and cell culture and molecular analysis. Field work was tiring and demanding but the experience was worth it.

Advice for Future Students

What advice would you give to Brazilian students who are about to embark on a similar journey to study abroad? I think you should look for opportunities and apply. I highly encourage students to have this experience.

Any specific advice for those who want to study at the University of Liverpool? Research the University, check which Campus you will work at. For example, I work at Leahusrt Campus which is in Neston, 40 minutes drive from Liverpool. Search about the research group. Read the research group's work and contact the supervisor to demonstrate your interest in the position.

What do you wish you had known before traveling that could have made your adaptation easier? And what are the most important things future students should know before moving to Liverpool? I think checking the location of your Campus, if it is further away from the city of Liverpool.

Future Perspectives

What are your future career aspirations after completing your postdoc at the University of Liverpool? My goal is to pursue a scientific career leading multidisciplinary approaches to investigate infectious diseases of animals. I intend to continue my academic career here in the United Kingdom, so I will apply for another postdoc or lecturer position.

Comments

Popular Posts